John R. Langey
Mr. Langey joined Costello, Cooney & Fearon in 1990 and is a partner in the firm. He graduated cum laude from SUNY Potsdam (1987) and is a magna cum laude graduate of the University of Buffalo School of Law (1990). Mr. Langey was admitted to the New York State and Federal District Court Bars in 1990. He is a multi-year member of the publication Best Lawyers in America and has been voted an “AV” lawyer on Martindale-Hubbell’s Attorney Rating System.
Mr. Langey has extensive experience in municipal, environmental and labor and employment law. As a partner and co-chair of the firm's municipal and land use law practice groups, he works with towns, villages, cities and counties on a wide variety of legal issues, including zoning, agreements, finance and subdivision review. He has formed and provides legal advice on over one hundred special districts, including water, sewer, lighting and drainage districts. Mr. Langey has represented both municipalities and private individuals in Article 78 litigation as well. His experience includes the defense and prosecution of tax certiorari proceedings in New York State Supreme Court. He holds a certificate in state and local government law from the University of Buffalo School of Law. Mr. Langey is a co-author of Major Land Use Laws in New York (NBI) and has lectured to numerous municipal boards and college students on the issues of SEQR, land use and municipal law. He is a frequent lecturer for the Onondaga County Planning Federation.
Mr. Langey's environmental practice ranges from the representation of local business interests to large corporate clients in a litany of areas including Superfund, hazardous waste litigation, above and underground storage tanks, SEQR and permitting. He is a co-author of a number of environmental seminars and provides in-house training and seminars to local boards and businesses on issues and procedures of the State Environmental Quality Review Act.
Mr. Langey represents Costello, Cooney & Fearon's private and public employment clients on a number of labor-related matters. He serves as labor and employment counsel for a number of public and private entities and offers advice on all employment law issues including discipline, wage and hours, employment and other matters routinely faced by employers. Mr. Langey has practiced before the PERB and the NLRB on issues of union organization, grievances and arbitration. Much of his practice is advisory in nature, guiding clients through the maze of federal and state statute regulations in the field of labor law, as well as advice and litigation in the area of collective bargaining. Mr. Langey is also active in the firm's employment litigation practice and has extensive experience in employment termination and discrimination claims.
- Obtained approval of a 1,200 unit housing facility in downtown Ithaca, NY.
- Obtained largest Industrial Development Agency PILOT in history for a multi-use commercial development in a Central New York municipality.
- Obtained land use approvals for multi-million dollar condominium project requiring use variances and historic district approvals in a Central New York municipality.
- Obtained permitting approvals from New York State Department of Environmental Conservation for lake treatment of the invasive weed species, Eurasian Watermilfoil, on Cazenovia Lake.
- Successfully challenged the constitutionality of a local sign ordinance invalidating portions of a local municipality's sign law.
- Successfully defended dozens of Article 78 proceedings for numerous municipalities and boards.
- Represented numerous not-for-profit corporations in obtaining exemptions from real property taxes pursuant to New York State Real Property Tax Law.
- Successfully prosecuted and defended hundreds of tax certiorari claims throughout Central New York.
- Formed hundreds of special districts in various local Central New York municipalities, including water, sewer, lighting and drainage districts.
- Obtained numerous right-to-build approvals for various commercial and residential projects throughout Central New York.
- Obtained a $4,000,000 award for a commercial client with respect to a contract dispute over interpretation of lease provisions.
- Named to Best Lawyers in America in the area of zoning and land use practice.
- Drafted numerous Comprehensive Plan Updates and redrafted numerous zoning law amendments for local towns and villages.
State University of New York at Buffalo Law School, J.D., magna cum laude, 1990
State University of New York at Potsdam, cum laude, 1987
Federal District Court Bar
Speaking / Publications / Awards
Onondaga County Planning Federation Guest Speaker- siting and regulating windmills in local communitites, Comprehensive Plan
Onondaga County Planning Federation Guest Speaker: "The Comprehensive Plan"
Presentation: SEQR Basics and the New DEC Environmental Assessment Forms, 2013
Presenter, "The SEQR Process: Overview and Introduction of the New SEQR Forms," 2012
Presenter for CAASNY, "Intermunicipal Agreements: Shared Services Between Counties, Villages, and Towns," 2012
Co-author of Major Land Use Laws in New York (NBI)
New York State Bar Association
Madison County Bar Association
Onondaga County Bar Association
American Bar Association