Melinda Burdick Bowe
Melinda Burdick Bowe, J.D., is a 2006 cum laude graduate of Syracuse University College of Law.
Melinda is a partner and the new chair of the Labor &Employment and Education practice groups. She represents public and private employers in all aspects of labor and employment law. Ms. Bowe serves as general and special counsel for several school districts, counties, towns,villages, public authorities, and other municipal entities. She has extensive experience representing employers before federal and state administrative agencies, including the New York State Division of Human Rights, New York State Department of Labor, New York State Education Department and New York State Public Employment Relations Board (PERB). Ms. Bowe’s representation of clients includes serving as chief spokesperson in collective bargaining, grievance arbitration and day to day contract administration with a proactive focus on avoiding employee claims. She also represents school districts in special education due process proceedings.
Ms. Bowe is admitted to practice in New York and in the United States District Court (NDNY and WDNY).Melinda’s representation of clients includes:
- Representation of school districts and other public employers in Section 75, 3020-a and alternative discipline/discharge proceedings.
- Representation of employers before PERB in relation to improper practice charges and representation/certification proceedings.
- Serving as chief spokesperson in collective bargaining on behalf of employers with numerous unions, including NYSUT, CSEA, SEIU, Teamsters, UPSEU, Police Benevolent and Deputy Sheriff Associations and SAANYS.
- Representation of public sector employers in interest arbitration proceedings involving police and fire unions.
- Achieving dismissal, on the basis of lack of probable cause, of complaints alleging discrimination and/or retaliation filed with state and federal administrative agencies.
- Representation of school districts in impartial hearings regarding students with disabilities, with an emphasis on early resolution of complaints during the resolution/mediation phase.
- Defense of public and private employers in sexual harassment, discrimination, retaliation, First Amendment and Section 1983 claims before state and federal administrative agencies.
Melinda is actively involved in many professional and civic organizations, including service as the Vice President of the Oneida City School District Board of Education, a member of the Madison-Cortland ARC Board of Directors and a member of Management Advocates for School of Labor Affairs(MASLA), the New York State Bar Association Labor and Employment Law and Municipal Law Sections, New York State Public Employer Labor Relations Association (NYSPELRA), New York State Association of School Attorneys (NYASA)and NSBA Council of School Attorneys (COSA).
Prior to joining the Firm, Ms. Bowe was a partner at another law firm in Syracuse and she previously represented more than twenty school districts as the administrator of the Madison-Oneida BOCES Personnel and Labor Relations office.
Ms. Bowe is a frequent lecturer for professional and civic groups in the areas of labor and employment and education law.
New York State
U.S. District Court, Northern and Western Districts
Oneida City School District Board of Education - Vice President
Madison-Cortland ARC Board of Directors
Management Advocates for School of Labor Affairs (MASLA)
New York State Bar Association - Labor & Employment and Municipal Law Sections
New York State Public Employer Labor Relations Association (NYSPELRA)
New York State Association of School Attorneys (NYASA)
NSBA Council of School Attorneys (COSA)