Kevin P. Ryan
Kevin P. Ryan is Special Counsel to the firm and is a member of Litigation practice group. His practice focuses on all aspects of construction law, representing owners, contractors, subcontractors and material suppliers in dispute resolution through arbitration and/or litigation. As an experienced trial attorney, Mr. Ryan has represented clients in jury and non-jury trials involving construction disputes, the defense of general liability and premises liability claims and the defense of toxic exposure cases. Mr. Ryan has also successfully represented clients in Article 78 proceedings both on behalf of and against municipalities relating to development projects, the award of public contracts and the award of economic assistance packages by a County Industrial Development Authority. Mr. Ryan also has experience in Election Law matters successfully representing clients in ballot access disputes and in recounts.
Representative cases include:
- Successfully represented a county Industrial Development Agency in an action brought by an unsuccessful applicant challenging the agency’s denial of its application for an economic assistance package.
- Successfully represented a material supplier on a non-payment claim on a Port Authority of New York/New Jersey project at LaGuardia Airport.
- Assisted a school district in avoiding additional costs and project delays resulting from the breach of contract by an asbestos abatement contractor on an elementary school project.
- Successfully defended a project owner against a lien claim brought by a subcontractor by establishing that the prime contract was owed no further payment and therefore, no funds remaining to satisfy the lien claim.
- Obtained a favorable verdict on behalf of a sanitation contractor whose low bid to a municipality was challenged by an unsuccessful bidder.
- Obtained a settlement in excess of $1,000,000.00 on behalf of a munitions contractor after successfully establishing that its contract with the Department of the Army was wrongfully terminated for default.
- Prevailed in an arbitration proceeding against a municipal housing authority that resulted in an award of damages to a contractor as a result of differing site conditions on a housing project.
- Successfully represented a replacement window installation contractor in numerous claims against the New York City School Construction Authority.
Mr. Ryan is a past recipient of the 40 Under 40 award. He is also a member of the Board of Directors of the Onondaga County Industrial Development Authority, the Greater Strathmore Neighbors Association and a member of the Onondaga County and City of Syracuse Republican Committees, the Ancient Order of Hibernians, the Strathmore Men’s Athletic Club and Bellevue Country Club.
He is a past Board member of the Syracuse St. Patrick’s Parade, the Syracuse Irish Festival, the Community General Hospital Foundation, the National Kidney Foundation and the Bud Coolican Memorial Golf Tournament benefiting the American Cancer Society. He is admitted to practice in the State of New York, the United States District Courts for the Northern, Southern and Western Districts, the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit and the United States Court of Federal Claims. He is a 1995 graduate of the Syracuse University College of Law (J.D.) and a 1992 graduate of the State University of New York, College at Brockport (B.S.).
Syracuse University College of Law, J.D., 1995
State University of New York, College at Brockport B.S. 1992
U.S. District Court, Northern, Southern and Western Districts
New York State Bar Association
Onondaga County Bar Association